Sunday, February 23, 2014

Going Full Steam

Three weeks into the semester, and I have finally attended a full week of classes!

It's been a busy week, but I'm beginning to feel like I have a handle on things for the semester. On Tuesday, when I walked into Hebrew and realized I was a lesson behind I got a bit worried, but as I sat through that class I began to realize that I still love languages and Biblical Hebrew is no exception. I really feel like I'm learning it well now, and I'm looking forward to finishing a semester of it.

All my other classes are fantastic as well, I am truly enjoying them all. I am taking Church History 2 which covers the time of the Reformation to the present. I always love learning about the Reformation and Luther, and I'm going to enjoy the rest of the history as well. Then I'm taking Introduction to Worship as well as Music in the Contemporary Church. They are both fantastic classes about Christian worship, and they are making me so much happier to be involved in worship and think about ways to create it and lead it. I'm also taking Old Testament 1, and I always enjoy studying the Old Testament. Finally, I'm taking Spanish for Ministry.

I started Spanish along with everyone else last week. Since it was a week later to start than the other classes, I didn't miss anything. I began in the Spanish 2 class and I was a bit worried that it would be too far advanced for me. However, the first class was fantastic and I'm enjoying getting back into my Spanish, which I gave up at the end of high school. At the time I was burnt out on Spanish, but now that I've discovered my love of languages I'm excited to be back into it again. I am also attending a liturgical Spanish workshop, which will hopefully come in handy. When I'm working at Parkland hospital this summer, I am hoping that when I encounter someone whose first language is Spanish, I will at least be able to make an effort to pray for them in their native language. I'd hope that would be comforting to someone needing the kind of comfort they will need in that place.

Tuesdays are a long crazy day, and I'm exhausted by the time I get home, but the things I am learning are worth it. The rest of my days are easier, still working in the library, and spending most of my time at home learning how to read and write papers with George between me and whatever I'm doing. He's doing well, and he got a few new toys this weekend. Hopefully they'll help to distract him if he's distracting me too much.

It's just a week and a half until Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent. I've been struggling with my spirituality on occasion over the past year, but I am eager to move into this and the Easter season, as I rediscover the beauty of worship and my place in it. I feel like it is going to be a wonderful semester.

Peace and love,
Kathryn

By the way: Did you know that the Alb (the white robe worn by worship leaders) is supposed to signify the purity and cleansing from sin we receive in baptism, and those wearing them are representing the baptism of all the assembly? Neat! More people should know that.

No comments: