Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Wind

The weather has been changing lately. It inspired this piece.


At first it is just the wind. Rushing through the trees and around the buildings, and moving my hair and the edges of my clothes - it overpowers everything with its presence.

Slowly other things begin to come out from behind the wind. Someone is walking by, their steps getting closer and closer, before fading away. A bird is sitting in the tree above me calling out into the wind. It's song stops, maybe it flew away. Rain is coming soon. the air smells so clean, as if the whole world has had its impurities removed. The smell of a coming rain is a promise that everything will be new again.

Far away, drumming starts up. The same patterns repeat over and over as the band practices. They give rhythm to the unpredictable wind, their sound stays constant while the wind moves the trees first one way, then another, in no particular manner. Closer than the drums, but not close to here, shouts begin as an impromptu football game starts up. Friendly calls of plays and instructions are followed by cheers as one side or the other scores.

The wind picks up, dropping the temperature as it passes - it's starting to get really cold now. When the wind starts going like this I feel it can move mountains - it certainly tries to move me. It gusts through the trees and then dies down again. The other sounds come back, but they show the effects. They seem more muted, more weary, they feel the powerful force of this wind.

The clock chimes, and my short reverie must end. I stand up and the wind pushes me on my way.



-Kat

No comments: