Saturday, October 15, 2011

Anniversary

I got some of the inspiration for this from a day sometime last year when I spent some time on a rainy Friday with my mom and a librarian reading the titles of trashy romance novels in the back of a library.


"I really don't want to do this," he said, trying to beg off our anniversary celebration. I stared him down and handed him the book.

"We're best friends and it's our one year anniversary - you are doing this," I replied settling into my half of our reading nook.

Our reading nook is a spot he carefully carved into his garden years ago. On three sides it is surrounded in spring blooms and lush summer foliage, and the fourth side is open to view the rest of the garden. The thick leaves block out all the sounds other than the wind gently moving through them. It was a beautiful fall day - the sun was shining but it was cool, and it was the last few weeks before these leaves would turn and fall. Soon the garden would sleep for the winter, and this nook would sleep as well.

He settled back into his pile of pillows and glared right back. "I just don't know why you feel the need to make this a celebratory thing - it's not really something that puts me in my best light." He was trying to stall, but he knew I wouldn't let up.

"A year ago today I found you here reading a trashy romance novel. That opened up a whole new side to our friendship, and we're celebrating" I replied. He closed his eyes, likely remembering the day I walked over unannounced to borrow something and found him out here in that compromising position.

"Fine," he said, "I don't get why you're making me do this but I know you won't let up."

"Good." I replied, opening up my own copy of the book for when my turn came. "Now start reading."

He began with the title - "The Greek Tycoon's Disobedient Bride," he announced in a grudging, but appropriately melodramatic voice, before proceeding to read aloud chapter one.


-Kat

No comments: