Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Miracle

It turns out that Wednesdays are busy days for me. I shouldn't be surprised, Wednesdays have been busy since I was 16. All throughout the day I've been trying to come up with some inspiration for something to create, and this evening I finally figured out one good place for me. I love pinterest.com, and went there seeking inspiration - I found pictures of babies. Also, I'm in a developmental psychology class this year, and it begins at pregnancy and birth, so I've just recently watched a video of a live birth in full detail. Without further ado, here is a piece of flash fiction I wrote today.
-Kat


I just had a baby come out from between my legs.

That sight is not something you can prepare for, no matter how may books you read or old mother's tales you listen to. There was a baby inside me, I watched him come out into the world, and now I'm holding him.  It's only been ten minutes, and I'm sinking further into shock. I'm holding my baby and cooing at him, but my mind is far away, and running as fast as it can.

For months I've been reading books, thinking about names, decorating, a nursery, and practicing my breathing, but I don't think I ever really expected the doctor to hand me this small, purple, helpless thing and say he was mine. Don't they know I have no idea what I'm doing? I'm going to have to re-read all of those books of mine that tell me what to do when I take him home, because that information has vacated my brain. Now I literally have someone's life in my hands and I'm responsible for him getting through the next many years of his life.

Here's hoping I don't screw him up.

1 comment:

Kim said...

I thought you would just take a pic of the dinner you made at Canterbury. From the story, I would think you had actually become a mom. It summed up what I felt after my first -- except how he was born! A new mom shouldn't worry about screwing up her kid -- she will! I was actually surprised that they let me take him home.