Sunday, September 18, 2011

It's a Girl

Today I wrote one more addition to this group of stories I've written over the past couple of days, now it's a trilogy, and I think it's done. This one's a bit un-edited (I wrote it 20 minutes ago), but I think it's decent anyway.


She was sitting in the waiting room, and she really needed to pee. This was the part she hated the most about sonograms, the medical need for a full bladder. Hopefully it would be her turn soon and she could get this over with. She had a book open in her hands, but she was having trouble concentrating on the words. Her mind seemed to become less focused each day. She was thinking about things she needed to do and all that had happened in the last few days.

Her house was moving ever so slightly toward chaos at the moment. People were giving her things, but she wasn't able to turn the amalgamation of stuff into a nursery. Now those things just sat in boxes in a cold room, waiting. This time around was the hardest yet, and she couldn't seem to snap herself out of it. Just yesterday she had been surprised when a co-worker in an elevator had asked her when she was due.

"How did he know I'm pregnant?" she had thought, before getting a glimpse of herself in a mirror. Of course at six months, she was obviously showing. After six months of pre-natal vitamins, doctors visits, and baby gifts  why did she still occasionally forget that she was even pregnant?

A nurse called her name and she walked to the examination room relieved that this visit could get underway so she could get on with her day. After the sonogram technician took enough pictures of her belly she got dressed, peed, and settled in to wait in the doctors office. She passed her time looking at the degrees on the wall and the nick-knacks on the desk.

Finally the doctor came in, and she seemed happy. After sitting down behind her desk and setting down a manila envelop, she announced with delight "I have good news, it's a girl!" then the doctor noticed her stony face. Getting up and walking around the desk to stand in front of her, she said firmly, "If this girl was born today, she would live. Girls are strong and this one is going to be a beautiful healthy baby."

She looked up at the doctor and read the sincerity in her eyes, and a grin broke across her face, the first true one in months. Her hands rested on her protruding belly, and for the first time she felt the spark of life she held within her. "It's a girl," she whispered, hopeful again for the days to come.


That ends this weekend's trilogy - I doubt it'll happen again. But, this story is important to me, and I'm glad I got the chance to write it and share it with you.

-Kat

1 comment:

Kim said...

Made me cry. I'm so glad you're my daughter!