Monday, November 4, 2013

Busy, But With a Puppy!

It's been another busy week, and I am working hard to keep up with everything, but Thanksgiving break will be here before I know it. Eighteen days, to be exact, but whose counting?

Still, despite my busy-ness, I am enjoying my time here and everything I'm learning. This week I went to an orthodox synagogue down the street with one of my classes and it was a very interesting experience. I've had some experience with synagogues before at OSU, but this was the first orthodox one I'd been to and it was interesting to learn about what was different and important to them. It was also interesting to hear the rabbi talk about "why we aren't Christians" because it was a chance to see Christianity from an entirely different point of view.

I've already covered two gospels in my New Testament class since fall break, and we're moving on to medieval Christianity in Church History. This is actually one of the parts of Church History I'm more interested in, simply because I haven't learned much about it before. I think it should continue to be fascinating for me through the rest of the semester.

Outside of classes I have been plenty busy with other things. Last Friday was our Choral Evensong, which is an evensong service in which I sang a mass by Mozart with my choir. It made for a long Friday, but it was a beautiful service and I was happy to be a part of it. I love having a chance to sing in a choir here, because I love to sing and I don't know how many opportunities for singing in a choir I'll have after I graduate.

Also on Friday (besides working five hours) I went to my first financial counseling appointment, which went really well. It's nice to be able to talk with someone about my finances, since I am brand new to being in charge of all my money. Apparently I really am turning into an adult.

On Saturday I had a bit of an adventure, as Erica and I drove down to Cincinnati to go to Ikea. We were buying furniture for a room in the seminary which we are helping to redecorate and make more used. I also brought a puppy along, because I was dog-sitting for someone who was going to LutherBowl, and I didn't want to leave her crated the whole morning and early afternoon. Having the puppy, Susie, was fine on the drive down because she just ran around in my backseat and had a great time. However, we ended up buying more than I expected at Ikea, and my car was absolutely stuffed full. So, Susie had to sit up front with us, and she ended up curled up in the crook of my left arm and slept most of the drive. And that means I had to drive all the way from Cincinnati to Columbus one-handed. We made it just fine though, and now we have a ton of furniture to put into this room. It should be lovely when it is done.

I have had a bit of time for rest, with my regular craft afternoon yesterday. On Sundays a few people in the seminary who like to craft get together and just spend some time not working. It's our way of making sure we actually do take some rest time. Yesterday I began a pink teddy bear as a gift for Silas' niece who will be born in January. I am hoping she will like it.

Now I am starting a new week, and today we have CPE day, in which we talk to different CPE supervisors and get a feel for what we'll be doing this summer. I am nearly done with my applications and should be sending them in by the end of the week, and if all goes well I'll be coming home for the summer! I'm looking forward to being there and having the support of all my family and friends back home as I go through this potentially difficult learning process.

Keep me in your prayers this week,
Kathryn

No comments: