Sunday, October 6, 2013

Cheap books and Endings

Hello again. I've just had a very busy week followed by a lot of laying in bed.

This week my exegetical paper was due, and I ended up writing most of it the day before it was due while I was working in the library. However, I think it turned out quite well, and I actually really enjoyed writing it. Shortly after that I got my assignment for my take home essay final for Church History, which is due next Friday, so I'll have something to keep me busy.

I also had my last assignment for Race Ethnicity and Religion, which I was happy about, because that has been an interesting, but difficult class. Tomorrow all I have to do is attend and participate in our last class and it will be done! Next session I will be taking Teaching Adults, and I'm interested to see how it will turn out. So classes are still definitely keeping me busy, but they're good and I'm managing to fit everything in.

I've also been working quite a bit this week. I am still working at the library, of course, and I absolutely love that job. I love being there and seeing everyone come by and I love seeing the books as they come through or as I wander through the stacks and I always seem to find another book I want to take home and read. I am also working in our Contextual Education office on a project to gather data on all of our internship sites for the past ten years. I spend a lot of time going through files, but I actually enjoy seeing the data and learning more about where we send interns.

Finally, this weekend I was working on a high-school retreat that was in. I went grocery shopping and I led a small group for a workshop on vocation. It was interesting to talk with the high school kids about what they were thinking about for the rest of their lives and sharing my own story of finding my call and my vocation.

On top of all of that, this weekend was the Augsburg Fortress warehouse sale, so a couple of friends and I left early in the morning to be at the sale plenty early, and it was quite an experience. I ended up with four clerical shirts, twenty books, and an alb, for an incredibly little amount of money. The books were only a dollar a piece! It makes me happy to have an alb and a clerical collar of my own, because it feels like I'm moving more firmly into my new path.

I also made my last Ministry in Context visit today, and I've written a reflection paper to turn in tomorrow. The process of visiting was really interesting, because it made me begin to realize what was really important to me in a church. I'm very intuitive, so I would leave a church with a gut feeling of whether I liked it or not, but then I would consider where that feeling was coming from and realize why I liked or disliked each church in turn. However, I am really looking forward to being assigned to my site, because it will be nice to have a regular place to go which will hopefully be welcoming here.

Now, despite all of that excitement this week, I actually realized I was getting a cold on Wednesday. I'm usually awful at taking care of myself when I'm sick and I just keep going at the same pace I normally would trying to pretend like I'm not ill. This time I took a entirely different tack. Both Thursday and Friday afternoon, after I finished the things that had to be done for the day at Trinity, I came home and promptly got into bed to rest for the entire afternoon. I ate a lot of soup and drank a lot of fluids and by now with all that rest I am actually feeling really good and ready to go for the next week. I'm proud of myself for taking the time for actually resting and taking care of myself and I think I've proven to myself that I should do this every time I get sick.

That left me a little behind on my schoolwork, but I'm catching up now, and at the same time I'm making yogurt! It should be a good evening.

Wishing for your prayers,
Kathryn

No comments: