Thursday, January 29, 2009

In Which I Love School and Ice Days

So, last week I finally started school for my last high school semester. I'm taking three classes at Tarrant County College: English II, Philosophy, and Early American Lit and this semester should be fun. On my first day in class I was sitting there after knitting Kevin's tardis all through the Obama inauguration which we watched in Philosophy, and my teacher began to explain what we were going to be learning this semester. While he was talking I began to realize how much I like college.

I'm not necessarily talking about living in a dorm and meeting new people and all that fun stuff I'll do next year, I'm talking about the classes themselves. I plan on majoring in Psychology but I want to take so many other classes that have nothing to do with that while I'm there. I just have this sensation that there is so much knowledge out there and so much of it interests me that I want to take as many of those courses that I can while I'm at OSU.

I am in the honors college at OSU so I went on their website to see what honors classes they offered that I might be interested in. It was so cool! They had a logic course, an ethics course, some lit courses, and even a Jane Austen seminar. Doesn't that sound cool? When I first got the information about being in the honors college it said that my first two years(four semesters) I would have to take two honors courses a semester. Since I've finished most of my core classes already I was pretty sure I would have to contract a lot of those classes, but now I think I'd rather like to take these classes that will teach me something interesting as well as my regular psychology courses.

So I may be one of those few people who just likes learning for the sake of it, but I've got four years ahead of me to do all the in class learning I can - after that I'll just have to go on teaching myself things like I've done recently with poetry and even the more complicated knitting techniques I've learned recently. (such as knitting socks! I still love knitting socks!)

With that lovely segway into knitting I do want to mention one of my favorite days in the past few weeks was on Tuesday when school was cancelled due to non-existant ice. I stayed in my pjs all day and knitted on my pretty purple slippers that are so far without a name. As much as I love school, it was nice to have one more lazy day before I really get busy, now when I look at my new slippers I can remember that those lazy days do come every now and then.

In other news, I breifly mentioned Kevin's tardis earlier. I made up a pattern for his birthday and finished it in just about a week and I must say I'm very proud of it. I even learned how to duplicate knit and embroider words in order to be able to do it. I'm probably going to make one for myself with the leftover yarn soon.

Speaking of yarn I have ordered the first color for my blanket I plan on finishing before college. It will be dark purple, pale yellow, and blue black. Hopefully soon I'lll be able to save enough money to buy the yellow and black and I can actually start knitting it.

Well that's all for now. I really should get to sleep, I have one more busy day this week.

"Finally facing my Waterloo"

1 comment:

Kim said...

It was fun staying in our jammies on the first ice day!